[XeTeX] The memoir \makeindex command and Fontspec

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jul 3 15:14:49 CEST 2006

On 3 Jul 2006, at 1:47 pm, Malcolm Ross wrote:

> I have been trying to create multiple indexes in a Memoir class
> document I am writing. The Memoir class has its own built-in index-
> creation mechanisms. The default index (flora.idx for my document
> flora.tex) is created by placing the command \makeindex in the
> document preamble. A second index can be created with, for example,
> \makeindex[plants], creating an index file plants.idx. And so on.
>
> This, at least, is what the manual says. But \makeindex[plants]
> generates:
>
> !LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}
>
> Initially I thought I was making some obvious mistake, despite my
> reading of the manual. However, I have experimented and it seems that
> this command works fine if Fontspec is not called. I am loath to
> abandon Fontspec. Life would be much harder without it. Can anyone
> suggest a workaround? Or an I making an obvious mistake?

I don't know why you're having problems with it; I tried a trivial
example and it seems to run fine, generating two (rather
uninteresting) .idx files:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

\documentclass{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\setromanfont{Hoefler Text}

\makeindex
\makeindex[second]

\title{Memoir Test}
\author{Me}

\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents*

\chapter{One}
\section{First}
\subsection{A}
Some\index[second]{quantities} text\index{text}.

\end{document}

So I suspect some more complex interaction of packages in your case;
can you try simplifying, and post a small but complete example that
demonstrates the problem?