[XeTeX] The memoir \makeindex command and Fontspec

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 3 14:47:05 CEST 2006

I have been trying to create multiple indexes in a Memoir class
document I am writing. The Memoir class has its own built-in index-
creation mechanisms. The default index (flora.idx for my document
flora.tex) is created by placing the command \makeindex in the
document preamble. A second index can be created with, for example,
\makeindex[plants], creating an index file plants.idx. And so on.

This, at least, is what the manual says. But \makeindex[plants]
generates:

!LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}

Initially I thought I was making some obvious mistake, despite my
reading of the manual. However, I have experimented and it seems that
this command works fine if Fontspec is not called. I am loath to
abandon Fontspec. Life would be much harder without it. Can anyone
suggest a workaround? Or an I making an obvious mistake?

Malcolm

Malcolm D. Ross
Department of Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Building No. 9, The Australian National University
CANBERRA A.C.T. 0200, Australia

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/rossm_ling.php
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/projects/biomdr.html