[XeTeX] Type 1 fonts in W32 XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jul 2 11:16:49 CEST 2006

On 2 Jul 2006, at 5:55 am, Akira Kakuto wrote:

>> I've checked-in a change to xetex that should correct this problem. I
>> think freetype is arguably wrong to be returning non-zero advanceY
>> when the glyph was not loaded with the VERTICAL_LAYOUT flag; should
>> check into this more carefully. But this patch should keep the words
>> properly on the line, anyway.
>>
>> The character-mapping issue that some have seen is a separate bug,
>> not yet fixed.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Current situation in XeTeX W32 (svn rev. 294, FreeType 2.2.1):
> Bitstream Charter : one two three
> Helvetica         : nmd svn sgqdd
>
> In both cases, words are kept on the line.

OK, that is as expected - thanks.

Regarding the character/glyph mapping issue, I have not yet seen this
with any of the type 1 fonts I have on my Linux machine. (I don't
have Helvetica as a .pfb font, for example; only the URW clone, and
that works fine for me.)

Could someone point me to a freely-available .pfb font that shows
this behavior? That would help me confirm the cause of the problem,
and provide a robust fix.