[XeTeX] Lettrines in XeTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 09:53:06 CEST 2006

On 02/07/2006, at 2:26 , Stephen Moye wrote:

> Well, there is one problem if you want more than, say, a 2-line drop
> cap, and you are using Computer Modern, and possibly other fonts for
> all I know. Apparently there is a limit of just how far LaTeX will
> allow you to scale CM.

Yes, back in the bitmap days (!!) you couldn't arbitrarily scale
fonts like we do today, and by default Computer Modern is set up to
only scale to certain canonical sizes (10pt scaled by approximate
powers of 1.2, if I recall correctly). The logic being that the
different sizes weren't just linear re-sizings, but actual variations
along an optical axis that thinned and heightened the fonts as the
nominal font size increased.

So anyway, if you're using XeTeX, you certainly don't want to be
using the default CM fonts. Any other font in LaTeX (either
postscript TFM-based or fontspec) will work fine for lettrine.

All the best,

Will