[XeTeX] Lettrines in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jul 1 18:08:46 CEST 2006

On 1 Jul 2006, at 3:30 pm, jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has a method of doing lettrines
> (dropped caps and numerals) in XeTeX? I tried LaTeX's lettrine
> package, but it does not resize the letters, as it does in standard
> LaTeX. I was just wondering if anyone had an alternate method that
> would both enlarge the characters, drop them, and make the
> surrounding text flow around the character(s).
I just tried a trivial sample with the lettrine package, and it
seemed to work fine:

\lettrine{H}{ere} is an example....

gives me a two-line dropped "H", and "ere" in small caps.

Perhaps you have something in lettrine.cfg that affects it? On my
machine, I have lettrine.sty version 1.6 [2004/05/22], and no custom
settings in lettrine.cfg.