[XeTeX] On combining diacritics again

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Jan 24 02:05:29 CET 2006

On 24/01/2006, at 2:44 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Personally, I think AAT's greatest weakness in comparison to OT is
> the lack of a dynamic mark attachment mechanism; this makes it
> virtually impossible to support arbitrary sequences of diacritics
> on a base character (as opposed to supporting a predetermined,
> limited set of combinations).

Oh, and language support in OpenType seems pretty well considered,
although I guess there's no reason why that couldn't be done in AAT
via another plain old feature. I've yet to see a font that makes
punctuation space via French rules, although I've never really looked...

While AAT's feature-naming as whatever you like is nice for GUI apps,
for fontspec it's kind of harder to support :)

Will