[XeTeX] Proposed change in color handling

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jan 2 14:55:35 CET 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> However, as the current xetex.def driver for LaTeX graphics/color
> uses the "x:..." commands, this will need an update. I don't know
> what other packages such as ConTeXt may be using at the moment. So
> this is a heads-up to anyone who has written XeTeX support macros
> using the old \specials.... they may be retired (or at least
> deprecated) shortly.

context is not using the dvips style color mechanisms and never will
(there is too much involved in color handling so we need full control)

why not

- make font driven color handling an option
- ignore font driven color support when x: is used?

(context users normally don't need support for color as font attribute
so i'm happy with it being ignored when x: is used)

let the macro package worry about it; if the macro writer messes up, no
one can blame you

Hans