[XeTeX] Meet the system...

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 13:30:43 CET 2006

Le 16 févr. 06 à 13:11, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

>> talking to other students, I noticed a great demand for
>> information on why and how XeTeX does not exist for e.g. x86 linux
>> - the explanation "because os x has better font handling" always
>> leads a little war on "my os is better than yours" :/
>
> So would the Linux users you meet like to have something like XeTeX
> on their platform? Curious what level of "demand" there is out
> there.....

I'm pretty confident they would -- after all the world is getting
more and more aware of Unicode, and OpenType fonts, possibly due to
the development of the WWW and the use of Unicode within it.

Though this might backfire: Linux users are -- my feeling -- much
more impatient and hackers at heart than Mac users, and you might get
many many more messages of the sort "LaTeX package [...].sty not
working with XeTeX -- why is that?" than we are already getting here.

Bruno Voisin