[XeTeX] xunicode for maths

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Feb 16 01:05:11 CET 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> Will Robertson wrote:

> No, they're Unicode characters. They get mapped to (font-specific)
> glyphs in order to become visible, though.

How was I ever confused by this? I was reading the unicode book last
night (aren't online books great?) and it's really quite simple. Even
Han unification makes sense, although I'm sure there's more to the
argument than I understand (I only know the broad details).

>> I would like to propose a xunicode-like package
>
> Good to see you tackling this!

I'll take that as encouragement :)
Now that fontspec's out of the way for the next little while, I need
something to keep me busy. This will be a nice change.

>> a skeleton of what a unicode maths package might become.
>
> One comment: please consider expressing the character codes you're
> accessing as true Unicode Scalar Value numbers, rather than pairs
> of surrogate codes.

These USVs are just the UTF-32 representation of the character,
right? (omitting any initial zeros...)

This looks great; the only reason I didn't do it that way in the
beginning was laziness. Your sample code is very much appreciated!

Best regards,

Will