[XeTeX] again russian, german, english...

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Wed Feb 15 13:53:27 CET 2006

hi Jonathan, finally some sort of internet again - 300B/s but better
than nothing *g*

On Feb 13, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2006, at 1:59 pm, Martin Henning wrote:
>
>> Yes, i get everything in Charis SIL and table of contents etc. in
>> russian, but: Hyphenation doesn't seem to work properly. I looked
>> at all kinds of russian texts, there is seems to be ok, though i
>> sometimes get overlong lines, where it simply doesn't break the
>> word earlier or put it on the next line - don't know why...
>
> In your example last week, I saw some instances of long words
> separated by slashes, e.g, современные/
> передовые. Note that the slash here will (by default)
> inhibit hyphenation. You might want to use LaTeX's \slash instead
> (which permits a line-break after the slash); or if you want to
> allow hyphenation of the words each side of the slash, then you
> need to introduce some (zero-width) glue.

This was just for me - just didn't know, yet, which word i was going
to use. The zero-width glue thing is unfortunately as far away as
chinese for me :')

>> English hyphenation doesn't seem to function at all, because i
>> found (among right things...) stuff like "art-icle", which for my
>> understanding is wrong.
>
> Yes, that seems odd. Can you provide a sample file that
> demonstrates such errors?

yep. trying to upload it :)

>> it seems to me that i don't understand the overall system here... :)
>
> Nor do I -- Babel is something of a mystery!

oh, yes...

> The rules for \baselineskip, \lineskip, and \lineskiplimit are a
> little tricky. With a sufficiently negative \lineskiplimit, you'll
> get lines spaced according to \baselineskip all the time (which
> your LaTeX class will set up according to its wishes). With
> OpenType/TrueType fonts in XeTeX, and without a negative
> \lineskiplimit, you'll often find you're actually setting the lines
> "solid" (according to the font metrics, which are usually larger
> than the actual glyph sizes), and the \baselineskip that LaTeX
> wanted to set is effectively being ignored.

ok, so with -5 a get nice line spacing - as long i don't have
superscripted figures etc. as soon as the index of a footnote
appears, the whole line jumps down back to huge spacing :) that is...
hmm... bad :)
i'll try to include that in the example file, too!

need to get back to actually working on the document - just 13 days
left!

thanx again,

martin