[XeTeX] Trouble with XeLaTeX and Jurabib

Stuart Robertson stuartrobertson1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 23:52:16 CET 2006

Dear list members,

I'm trying to typeset an article with XeLaTeX and Jurabib and have
run into a problem with errant quotation marks. In the example below
the first single quotation that prefaces the article title remains
the usual TeX Grave or  ` mark rather than becoming a single opening
quote or ‘.

I don't know what to do. I've checked the encoding of the files
involved and varying them makes no difference. I've set the same
sources with conventional LaTeX and it works fine.

Is this a XeLaTeX problem or a Jurabib one? I'm guessing that it's
something set in the Jurabib configuration but want to check here
before posting on the Jurabib list.

Apologies if this isn't clear or if I've not offered enough info.
Though I'm proficient in using LaTeX I mostly don't understand the
underlying processes. I can only use LaTeX at all because of the good
work of Richard Koch, Gerben Wierda, Jonathan Kew and all the other
people who write and publish packages.

Yours in confusion,

Stuart

test file below:

\documentclass[11pt, a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{texnansi}
\usepackage[%
      titleformat=italic,%
      titleformat=commasep,%
      commabeforerest,%
      authorformat=allreversed,%
      ibidem=name,%
      ibidem=name&title,%
      ibidem=strict,%
      citefull=first,%
      lookat,%
      oxford,
      %chicago,%
      pages=format,%
]{jurabib}
\AddTo\bibsenglish{%
\def\incollinname{in}% <== no space after "in"  this from jurabib
yahoo group
}
\AddTo\bibsenglish{%  this from jurabib yahoo group
\def\edbyname{ed.}%
\def\editorname{(ed.)}%
\def\editorsname{(eds.)}%
\def\incollinname{in}%
\def\inname{in}%
}
\usepackage{pdfsync}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont[Ligatures={Common}, Numbers={OldStyle}]{Hoefler Text}
\setmonofont[Scale=0.8]{AppleGothic Regular}
\begin{document}

\title{Problems with xetex, bibtex and quotation marks?}
\author{Stuart R}
\maketitle

In the reference produced here the first single quotation mark
remains a ` rather than a ‘. This is what I mean.\footcite[379–404]
{bal1993his-masters-eye}

\bibliography{bal}
\bibliographystyle{jox}

\end{document}

and the .bib file

@incollection{bal1993his-masters-eye,
	Address = {California},
	Author = {Bal, Mieke},
	Booktitle = {Modernity and the Hegemony of Vision},
	Date-Modified = {2006-01-11 21:24:00 +0000},
	Editor = {Levin, David Michael},
	Pages = {379–404},
	Publisher = {University of California Press},
	Shorttitle = {His Master's Eye},
	Title = {His Master's Eye},
	Year = {1993}}