[XeTeX] Linux setup question (follow up)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Dec 22 11:35:20 CET 2006

Am 22.12.2006 um 03:04 schrieb Dennis Drescher:

> The pragmatic way is often the way not to do things I guess.

You're guessing wrong. BTW, pragmatic is not what you think you're
doing.

> So I took a look at fmtutil and fmtutil-sys using the --help
> command. Still being
> very much a novice user,

Therefore manual pages are included particularly for you.

> the nearest I could figure is that I needed to run "fmtutil" and
> "sudo fmtutil-sys" to create my .fmt files in their proper place,
> which seems to be /home/dennis/.texmf-var/web2c and
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c.

And again it's obvious that you did read, though, but did not
understand. It's *either* fmtutil-sys or fmtutil. And because you
obviously do not know enough of what you're doing and do not intend
to learn you should not touch fmtutil.

> Both of these utilities did create a bunch of .fmt files in both these
> locations. However, they did *not* create the xetex.fmt

Of course not! Did you enable them? Did you look into the install-
xetex and rebuild-formats scripts that came with the xetex source?
Did you at least notice which utility created which files to learn a
bit?

> So, my question at this point is, how do I get a xetex.fmt file, in
> the right place, the right way?

Either add these three lines to fmtutil_cnf (à la teTeX):

	# XeTeX formats
	xetex	xetex	-		*xetex.ini
	xelatex	xetex	language.dat	*xelatex.ini

or those four lines (à la TeX Live):

	# XeTeX-based formats using etex, eplain, and latex macros
	xetex        xetex   -       	     -etex xetex.ini
	xeplain      xetex   language.dat    -etex xeplain.ini
	xelatex      xetex   language.dat    -etex xelatex.ini

Invoke

	sudo fmtutil-sys --enablefmt xetex
	sudo fmtutil-sys --enablefmt xelatex
	sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt xetex
	sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt xelatex

The last two commands create the xetex and xelatex FMT files. Fmtutil
also understands options to create all missing FMT files at once.

And then read how to clean up the mess in your system! Maybe
formatting the disk and re-installing the OS is more pragmatic ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.