[XeTeX] no hyphenation with fontspec

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Dec 21 19:22:03 CET 2006

On 21 Dec 2006, at 5:45 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Now I have another issue, I need to hyphenate Frommann--Holzboog the
> same way as Frommann---Holzboog.

You mean where there's a (Unicode) en-dash or em-dash? (Either in the
original input text, or as a result of a font mapping.)

If so, you may want to set the parameter

   \XeTeXdashbreakstate = 1

in your preamble. This will cause XeTeX to allow a break after the
Unicode en- and em- dash characters, in the same way as TeX does by
default after an explicit hyphen.

I'm not sure if either of the parts of the compound word will be
eligible for hyphenation in this situation; normally, if there's an
explicit hyphen/dash, TeX does not attempt to further hyphenate the
two parts. If you want to allow that, you probably need some
additional code to introduce some (possibly zero-width) glue.