[XeTeX] Installing XeTeX on Kubuntu Edgy with texlive packages

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 21 15:07:20 CET 2006

Folks,

I would like to re-package xdvipdfmx and xetex as Ubuntu/Debian packages for
Edgy Eft for an installation in which texlive* packages have been installed
instead of tetex*.

Using what I have gathered from this list and elsewhere, I have done the following:

1. Installed the following packages:

autotools-dev fakeroot dh-make build-essential flex bison libfontconfig1-dev
libmagick9-dev libpng12-dev texlive-full

2. Downloaded the two .tar.gz source packages from:

http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TAGS/xdvipdfmx-0.3.tar.gz
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TAGS/xetex-0.995.tar.gz

3. Made executable the configure and debian/rules files in each archive after
unpacking, i.e.,

cd <path-to>/xdvipdfmx-0.3
chmod +x configure
chmod +x debian/rules

and

cd <path-to>/xetex-0.995
chmod +x configure
chmod +x debian/rules

4. cd <path-to>/xdvipdfmx-0.3

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

5. cd <path-to>/xetex-0.995

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

6. In /etc/texmf/texmf.d/45TeXinputs.cnf

changed

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xelatex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

7. sudo update-texmf

8. cd <path-to>/xdvipdfmx-0.3; cd ../

sudo dpkg -i xdvipdfmx_0.3-1_i386.deb

This is installed without incident.

9. cd <path-to>/xetex-0.995; cd ../

sudo dpkg -i xetex_0.995-1_i386.deb

This of course leads to dependency problems because I do not have tetex* installed.

So my questions are:

1. In the debian/control files, what do I need to modify for this (and possibly
other) dependencies?

xetex:
Depends: tetex-base, tetex-bin, xdvipdfmx, ${shlibs:Depends}

2. Do I need to do do anything other than what I have listed above in order to
compile successfully?

Thanks for reading patiently and for your help.

Chandra
21 Dec 06