[XeTeX] XeTeX cannot find very common fonts in the system

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Dec 14 20:41:11 CET 2006

On 14 Dec 2006, at 5:07 pm, André Bellaïche wrote:

> These simple commands
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{osxfonts}
> %\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
> \NewOSXFontFamily{nff}{Garamond}
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{nff}
>
> do not work. The error message is :
>
> ! Font \testfont=Garamondat10pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or
> installed fo
> nt not found.
>
> The same happens with Adobe Garamond, Times, Times Roman, Helvetica,
> Utopia, with and without the command "\renewcommand
> {\encodingdefault}{U}
>
> I use teTeX with TeXShop, and I have reinstalled XeTeX vie i-
> installer, half an hour ago. To typeset, I use the XeLaTeX button. My
> TeX system could not find the osxfonts.sty file, but I found it in
> XeTeX_doc/Samples.
>
> Other informations: Mac OSX version = 10.4.8.
>
> Of caourse, I have noticed the lack of a space in Garamondat10pt, so
> I have try to type {Garamond }. This makes no difference.
>
> Could somebody give me some help ?

Try replacing your example commands with something like this:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Times Roman} % or other font family

and I think you'll have better success.

The osxfonts.sty package was an early experiment, now superseded by
Will Robertson's fontspec. Some of those sample files are pretty old,
and should be removed/updated when there's a new release. (Sorry...
there's never enough time to do everything!)