[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx 0.3 and PDF annotations

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 3 21:02:15 CET 2006

On 3 Dec 2006, at 6:20 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> if I try to add an annotation, using the following code (from
> dvipdfmx,
> that works fine with it):
>
> \special{pdf: ann width 7cm height 5cm
> << /Type /Annot /Subtype /Text /Open true
> /Contents (χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά) >>}
>
> I get the following:
>
> ! Argument of \reserved at a has an extra }.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> l.76 /Contents (χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά) >>}
>
> ?
> Runaway argument?
> {\def \@currenvir {quoting}\edef \@currenvline {\on at line }\csname
> quo\ETC.

This is a TeX error message, and must be coming from some level of
LaTeX macros interacting (in a bad way) with your \special command or
its contents. The following sample works in plain XeTeX (with
xdvipdfmx):

% ---------------------------------------
%!TEX TS-program = xetex-x

Hello world!
\vskip2in
\special{pdf: ann width 7cm height 5cm
<< /Type /Annot /Subtype /Text /Open true
/Contents (χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά) >>}

\bye

> I'm afraid this could be a bug on xdvipdfmx.

No, it's a TeX/LaTeX-level problem, as demonstrated by the success of
the sample above. I'd need to see a complete minimal example of what
you're doing if I'm to try and track down the cause.