[XeTeX] Farsi/Arabic

Loeghmon T. Nejad loeghmon at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 3 16:53:15 CET 2006

Christoph,

(OOPS!) Now I remember, I archived the instructions you sent me once,
but I could no longer locate it when I restarted to experiment with
Xetex recently. I make sure I visit xetex archives and read your post.
Sorry about that.

The reason I started with Etch and not Sarge, was its reputation as a
stable enough release!

Thanks again.

--- Christoph Bier <christoph.bier at web.de> wrote:

> Loeghmon T. Nejad schrieb am 01.12.2006 17:44:
>
> > François,
> >
> > I have been reading your posts about ArabTex with much interest,
> even
> > though I do not have xetex installed on my Debian yet! Would you,
> or
> > others, kindly tell me, as a not particularly Latex/Linux savvy
> person,
> > as how to setup a Debian Etch Farsi(Arabic)/English system, with a
>
> (BTW: If you are not a savvy Linux user, why do you use Etch and not
> Sarge?)
>
> Because I'm not familiar with Farsi/Arabic typesetting I don't know
> whether you need special things other than XeTeX and some packages
> (I don't think so). I described how to install XeTeX on Debian in
> this email: <eis7tb$m3m$1 at sea.gmane.org> (Subject: XeTeX for Debian)
>
> > suitable editor of course?
>
> Emacs + AUCTeX (but remember: I'm not familiar with Farsi/Arabic
> typesetting)
>
> > For example, what are my options? Is it like
> > Debian/TexLive/Miktex/Arabi combination vs. Debinan/Xetex, or I do
> not
> > know what I am talking about!! I appreciate your help.
>
> Hm, /I/ don't know what /you/ are talking about :-). How to combine
> Debian with MikTeX (except the MikTeX tools)?
>
> Do you use TeXLive or teTeX with Debian? However, it makes no
> difference for XeTeX: You can install XeTeX with teTeX and TeXLive.
> AFAIK the next TeXLive release will even contain XeTeX!
>
> Best,
>    Christoph
>
> PS: Just now I found that I wrote the installation instructions for
> Debian mentioned above for you! If you really want help you
> shouldn't ignore answers/questions of people who wanted to help you
> ... (I refer to <eit2i3$u7p$1 at sea.gmane.org> in the same thread
> mentioned above).
> --
> +++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)