[XeTeX] Fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Wendy McKay wgm at cds.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 31 17:29:27 CEST 2006

Hi Taco,

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi Wendy,
>
> Wendy McKay wrote:
> >
> > Are there any wiki experts on this list who could help with maintaining
> > information about fonts both for LaTeX and XeTeX?
>
> Right after (actually during) BachoTeK this year we registered
> the domain / website
>
> 	http://www.openfontgarden.net
>
> precisely with this goal in mind. It runs on a Dante-funded machine
> (Patrick Gundlach is in charge) so we can pretty much do whatever we
> please when it comes to installation of software.
>
> Unfortunately, uintil now all of us have been too busy to actually
> add content, but there is a mediawiki installed already. If someone
> could find the time to add this list that would be great.
>
> Greetings,
> Taco

Excellent news! A Wiki website for open type fonts.
I have limited experience using some wikis, but  mediawiki is not one of
them. However, I understand that there are converters that will take
html text and generate mediawiki code. This may make things easier for
novices who want to help but don't have time to learn mediawiki talk.

If an experimental page can be created to get started, then maybe some
real XeTeX/wiki users might be inspired to  step forward
and improve things and  provide sample texts of the list of fonts
that Bruno has collected.  Thanks Bruno.

As Joachim Trinkwitz, mentioned, Palle Jorgensen's LaTeX Font Catalogue at
<http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/> is a nice starting point to mimick.
The catalogue  requires lots of images for the font samples I think.
Help would be needed from XeTeX users who have the fonts installed
to produce samples.

I'm not a regular XeTeX user yet..  Making (Xe)TeX font installation
easier (on a Mac) is on the  MacTeX Project wishlist, and having a comprehensive list
of fonts that can be installed/used  would be useful as a reference.
Calling all enthusiastic XeTeX users/volunteers ...

--w