[XeTeX] Fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Aug 30 15:24:41 CEST 2006

Le 30 août 06 à 12:16, Wendy McKay a écrit :

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> By the way, I hope someone's collecting these on a webpage
>> somewhere :)
>
> Me too.
> If some k

Hi Will, Wendy,

Not exactly what you asked, but here are the fonts I have finally
kept (the choice does not pretend to be objective in any way, neither
do the comments accompanying each font name). Thanks to William Adams
and Joachim Trinkwitz for their suggestions.

Bruno Voisin

SIL fonts
=========

Because these are often mentioned in Jonathan Kew's answers

Doulos SIL
<http://scripts.sil.org/DoulosSILfont>

Charis SIL
<http://scripts.sil.org/CharisSILfont>

Gentium
<http://scripts.sil.org/Gentium>

Code 200x
=========

Because these are often mentioned in Will Robertson's answers

Code2000 (shareware)
Code2001
Code2002
<http://home.att.net/~jameskass/>

Bitstream fonts
===============

Because these have been mentioned here at times (I must admit that
I'm not familiar enough with font issues to see any significant
difference with the ubiquitous LaserWriter 35 fonts)

Bitstream Charter
<ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/fonts/charter/>
<ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/systems/mac/fonts/oztex/charterbt-
oztex.sit>
<http://www.download.com/Bitstream-Charter/3000-2185_4-896557.html>

Bitstream Vera
<http://www.gnome.org/fonts/>

Around the LaserWriter 35 fonts
===============================

Free UCS: Nothing very original, but given these are free I imagine
they might become a standard someday
<http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/>

FPL Neu: Because knowledgeable people here have spoken highly of that
one
<http://www.tfkp.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~ralf/tex/fplneu-otf.zip>

Adobe fonts
============

Adobe Utopia: Because of the existence of the complementary Fourier
math fonts, and because of their design which looks (to my untrained
eyes) like a cross-breed of the "classical" LaserWriter 35 fonts and
the "modern" Lucida Bright fonts
<ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/fonts/utopia/>
<ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/systems/mac/fonts/oztex/utopia-
oztex.sit>

Adobe Euro: For those rare occasions when one uses a font missing the
Euro symbol
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/mac/all/eurofont.sea.hqx>
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/mac/all/eurofont.txt>
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/mac/all/eurostdfont.sit.hqx>
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/eurofont.exe>
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/eurofont.txt>
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/eurostdfont.zip>

Math fonts
==========

Fourier-GUT: Math complement to Utopia
<ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/fonts/fourier-GUT/>
<ftp://ftp.gutenberg.eu.org/pub/gut/distribs/fourier/fourier-mac-
v15-12-02-2005.sit>

MnSymbol: Math complement to MinionPro
<http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/MnSymbol10.otf>
<http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/MnSymbol.zip>
<http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/MnSymbol.pdf>

Mathematica: Created for and used by Mathematica, with MathML support
in mind
<http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/macintosh/general/
latestfonts.html>
<http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/
latestfonts.html>
<http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/general/
latestfonts.html>
<http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/>

For fun
=======

Fontin: Original and nice in every point of detail
<http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/fontin.html>

Delicious: Original and nice in every point of detail
<http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html>

Yanone Kaffeesatz (donationware): A tribute to the powers of coffee
<http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/kaffeesatz/>

Behrens-Schrift: So very Art Nouveau
<http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/steffmann/samples/b/
behrens.htm>

Optimo Circuit: So very BauHaus
<http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-01-11/#3482>

Plus home-made conversions to TrueType format, using FontForge and my
original Mac OS 7 floppies, of the Apple vintage fonts I miss so much
on Mac OS X: Athens, Cairo, London, Los Angeles, Mobile, San
Francisco, Venice

Cairo TT: TrueType clone of the bitmap Apple Cairo, based on a
PostScript clone which has apparently vanished from the web
<http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_Library/Font_Samples/
Font_Indices/Image_Pages/C/Cairo.html>
<http://clarus.chez-alice.fr/ENGLISH/>

Medieval fonts

I have not installed these, but according to their presentation they
seem especially useful to scholars, linguists and for biblical studies

Cardo
<http://www.mufi.info/fonts/#Cardo>
<http://scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html>

Andron Scriptor