[XeTeX] segfault with xetex

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Fri Aug 25 14:32:03 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2006, at 11:36 am, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> For some strange reason(*), I get segmentation fault when I run
>> "xelatex
>> --no-pdf file.tex" and \setromanfont has no system font.
>>
>> (*) Muy guess is that I messed things when I deleted a Type1 font (I
>> wanted xelatex to use the TrueType original) with XeLaTeX running. But
>> this should not lead to segmentation fault, shouldn't it?
>>

> I can imagine that deleting a font *while xetex is running* might
> lead to trouble, as it caches font names and paths. Does the problem
> keep happening on subsequent runs? Does it persist if you reboot (to
> ensure any Fontconfig caches are cleared)?

Sorry for the poor reporting. The problem persists in subsequent runs
and after rebooting.

> Of course, any segfault is a bug at some level.... usually because of
> some unexpected situation where the code doesn't handle an error
> condition properly. So it would be good to identify exactly what's
> happening. I'm not sure what you mean by "\setromanfont has no system
> font", though. Your document says \setromanfont{Epigraphica}, I
> guess; so what Epigraphica fonts are installed, and where?

Epigraphica is actually a typo, the installed font is actually
Epigrafica (http://myria.math.aegean.gr/labs/dt/fonts-en.html). What I
meant is that my system has no font with this family name.

I hope it helps now. Thanks,

Pablo