[XeTeX] Newbie troubles with XeTex for Linux

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
Thu Aug 24 02:57:00 CEST 2006

> Ah, that may well be the problem... the xetex binary packages are set
> up for the teTeX installation, and TeXLive probably configures things
> differently. In fact, I'm a bit surprised you're able to install the
> binary packages, as I thought they would require teTeX -- or do you
> mean that you compiled from source, and then installed the binaries
> you built?

No, I didn't compile from source; I installed the .deb packages for
Ubuntu. I didn't get any error messages during the install.

> Where are the xetex binaries installed, and the main configuration
> files? It might be helpful to see what is reported by:
>
>    ls -l `which xetex`

/usr/bin/xetex

>    kpsewhich texmf.cnf

/usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

>    kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf

/usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

>  grep xetex `kpsewhich texmf.cnf`

TEXINPUTS.xetex         = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf/{xetex,}//

>  grep xetex `kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf`

got nothing.

I also looked at the file directly and I did *not* find the lines:

> # XeTeX formats
> xetex		xetex		-		*xetex.ini
> xelatex		xetex		language.dat	*xelatex.ini

So is that the source of the problem? What should I do to correct it?

thanks

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
http://www.shaviro.com
The Pinocchio Theory: