[XeTeX] Strangeness with Minion Pro Opticals Small Caps

Peter Heslin pj at heslin.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 12:52:20 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:

> But the behavior he's seen is completely consistent with having
> incorrectly ordered lookups in the GSUB table, which is a plausible
> error

Oops -- mea culpa.  I've tracked down the problem -- it turns out that I
had modified the font a while ago.  I re-installed a fresh copy of the
font from the AR package, and the problem goes away (thanks to Ralf for
providing the md5sum that made me realize that I must have tweaked the
version I was using).  The reason I had forgotten about this is that I
was playing with the Greek glyphs, not the Latin small-caps.

Quite a while ago I had done some experiments on the AR-provided Minion
fonts to try and fix a bug with its handling of polytonic Greek.  The
left-side-bearings of some capital letters with accents have such a
large negative value that it swallows up the preceding inter-word space.
I came up with a fontforge script that fixes this, which I had applied
to the font.  (I reported the bug to Adobe and they say they will be
fixing it eventually.)

This script only adjusted the left bearing of a few Greek glyphs, so it
should not have touched the GSUB table.  It must have been my own error
while developing the script or a bug in FontForge that has since been
fixed, since re-running the script now on the original AR-supplied font
does not result in a font with a similarly corrupted GSUB table.

Apologies for the noise.

--
Peter Heslin (http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin)