[XeTeX] Strangeness with Minion Pro Opticals Small Caps

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Aug 20 11:16:18 CEST 2006

On 20 Aug 2006, at 9:55 am, Peter Heslin wrote:

> The installation of two different versions of Minion Pro is what
> confused xetex.

I suspect this isn't quite accurate; my guess is that the problem is
an incorrect GSUB table in the AR-provided font, rather than the
presence of two versions. (XeTeX will only use one of them -- and I
don't think fontconfig does anything "smart" about picking the newer
version.)

If you're in the mood to experiment, perhaps you could (temporarily)
reinstall the Reader-provided fonts and remove the Type Classics
versions. I think the problem will return.

> I wonder if it would be possible for
> xetex to detect this sort of incompatible font situation and complain
> loudly?

If I'm right, it's not an "incompatible font situation", it's a badly-
programmed GSUB table -- which xetex can't realistically detect, as
it can't know what the font designer intended. It just follows the
rules.

I suppose it might be possible, and sometimes helpful, to detect when
there are multiple versions of a font installed, as this means you're
unable to control which of the versions will be used, and may
inadvertently be using an old font that you thought you'd replaced.
I'd need to give a bit of thought to how/where this could best be
detected.