[XeTeX] An example of the use of \x="[filename]"

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Aug 18 11:03:10 CEST 2006

On 18 Aug 2006, at 9:49 am, Stephen Moye wrote:

> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.995 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> entering extended mode
> (./AAxxtest.tex [1]
> ** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fotmap file.
> ** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: HoeflerTextOrnaments
> hoeflertextornaments <hoeflertextornaments.enc
> ** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at:
> file="dvipdfm.map", line=6.
>
> Output file removed.
> )
> Output written on AAxxtest.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on AAxxtest.log.

OK.... so xetex found the font, but xdvipdfmx wasn't happy.

This is caused by a bug in the current TeX i-Package (more
specifically, in the gtamacfonts part that provides support in pdftex
for some Mac OS X fonts). It adds invalid entries to the dvipdfm (and
dvips) font map files, though it was only intended to work with pdftex.

I've recently reported this to Gerben, so I hope there will be a fix
soon. Meanwhile, you can edit dvipdfm.map and manually remove (or
comment out) the offending line:

%%% BAD LINE %%% HoeflerTextOrnaments hoeflertextornaments
<hoeflertextornaments.enc

It's likely to be the first (non-comment) line in the file, if you
have a fairly typical selection of fonts; and indeed, in your case
it's line 6, after the initial 5 comment lines.

HTH,