[XeTeX] XeTeX and TeX documentation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Aug 11 09:25:49 CEST 2006

On 11 Aug 2006, at 12:30 am, Joshua Grauman wrote:

> Sorry, I must correct myself. When I put the parameters more
> extreme I do
> see that it sometimes breaks a line after a maqqef. I don't know
> why it is
> less frequent, but it is working. Sorry about that.

It'll be less frequent, especially with stretchable \leftskip (ragged-
left setting rather than full justification) because TeX prefers to
break at spaces rather than hyphens if possible. (And this code is
treating maqqef like a literal hyphen in the text.)

You can change this by adjusting \exhyphenpenalty (the "penalty" for
breaking at an explicit hyphen). If you set this to zero, then
breaking at maqqef will be considered equally acceptable to breaking
at a space.

This is all explained in The TeXbook, if you want to understand the
full range of parameters and options you can experiment with. :)