[XeTeX] OT?: Interesting? post about LuaTeX on usenet:comp.text.tex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Aug 10 18:37:47 CEST 2006

Will Robertson wrote:
> On 11/08/2006, at 1:33 , Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> But in another sense, there are only two (not three) "platforms"
>> currently targeted by XeTeX: one that uses Apple Type Services to
>> access fonts, and one that uses Fontconfig.
>
> I'd guess it's this latter that they're leery of using. Or perhaps
> they really haven't looked that closely at the Linux release (although
> that would surprise me) and were frightened off by all of the mention
> of Mac OS X frameworks around the earlier releases.
>
>> Oh, and XeTeX uses the same OpenType layout code (from ICU) on all
>> platforms.
>
> I don't think there's anything to be gained from completely
> re-implementing OpenType support from scratch. Well, no point
> preaching to the converted :)
>
> Do you mind if I ask if there is or has been much communication
> between you all? How active is the tex-implementors mailing list?
jonathan and the pdftex people occasionally meet at tex conferences; about the tex-implementers list ... close to dead in this respect and i think that both teams have too much fun doing their dev job to be bothered by abstract discussions; actually, pdftex and xetex are both examples of succesfull extensions done by a small group of dedicated people who just want something being done; my experience with the tex community is that too much discussion (1) stalls and (2) kills developments

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE