[XeTeX] OT?: Interesting? post about LuaTeX on usenet:comp.text.tex

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:14:56 CEST 2006

On 11/08/2006, at 1:28 , William Adams wrote:

> I thought the commenting on XeTeX was kind of strange and off-key,
> hence my mention of it here.

Well, I'm only a young'un, but when I consider that these guys have
used TeX on handfuls of different systems over the years, I can
understand their reluctance to tie LuaTeX to any specific platform.
It adds a whole lot of effort in the long run (how's Omega going
after 15 years?) but it looks like people are actually willing to
throw time and money at the problem now, which is pretty fantastic
news for the TeX community.

In the meantime, we can write our macros and packages for unicode and
font support and hopefully have a bit of experience when it comes to
doing similar things for their project. And maybe complain at them
when font support isn't just a matter of drag'n'drop (but perhaps it
will be, and that'll be better).

The whole Lua scripting aspect of the thing really intrigues me.
People say TeX is horrible to program in, and I wonder how
fundamentally using a "real" programming language will affect what
people will be able to implement.

Will