[XeTeX] xelatex not working

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 9 11:14:22 CEST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 9:42 am, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:
>
>> However, current TeX Live-based systems such as Joshua is
>> using seem to set the paths in texmf.cnf in such a way that texmf-
>> dist takes precedence over texmf-local, and so the newer version
>> isn't used. :(
>
> I think it is more likely to be a problem of installation directory.
> Current TeX Live contains in its texmf.cnf
>
> % XeTeX
> TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//
> TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
>
> while Joshua installed in TEXMFLOCAL/tex/xelatex. The xelatex
> directory
> is only searched after the latex and generic directories has been
> searched *in all* TEXMF trees.

Oh yes, you're right -- I was forgetting that issue. This needs to be
changed in TL; thanks for the reminder.

However, I believe the precedence of DIST over LOCAL (where the xetex
additions currently end up) would still lead to the same problem.
Really, the main xkeyval in DIST needs to be updated.

> Most of the files in the TEXMF tree comming with XeTeX could go into a
> regular tree without problems. Interesting cases are only
> configuration
> files  for certain LaTeX packages and hyphenation files.

Yes, those are the trickier ones.