[XeTeX] xelatex not working

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 9 09:53:32 CEST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 7:14 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 8/9/06, Joshua Grauman <jnfo at grauman.com> wrote:
>> Ok, that worked, but now I get:
>>
>> LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 33, version
>>                 `2005/05/07' of package xkeyval,
>>                 but only version
>>                 `2005/01/30 v2.0 package option processing (HA)'
>>                 is available.
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>
> Hi Joshua,
>
> This is my fault, but I don't apologise for it :)
> You need to get a newer version of the xkeyval package:
>   <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/xkeyval/>
>
> I wonder, Jonathan, if we should include this package in the XeTeX
> installer until gwTeX catches up?

XeTeX does include a newer xkeyval among the texmf additions that it
installs (into texmf.local on gwTeX systems, texmf-local on TeX
Live). However, current TeX Live-based systems such as Joshua is
using seem to set the paths in texmf.cnf in such a way that texmf-
dist takes precedence over texmf-local, and so the newer version
isn't used. :(

Possible solutions: either (a) install a new xkeyval into a location
that *is* searched before texmf-dist (maybe the current directory?
I'm not sure exactly what the TeX Live paths are); or (b) modify
texmf.cnf to put TEXMFLOCAL before TEXMFDIST in the definition of
TEXINPUTS.