[XeTeX] XeTeX and TeX documentation

Joshua Grauman jnfo at grauman.com
Sat Aug 5 23:13:55 CEST 2006

Thanks for all your help so far. I've basically got everything working.
It's just a matter of figuring out how to lay out my document now, and
being basically new to TeX I've got to start at the beginning. So maybe an
answer to a few quick questions will help point me in the right direction.

Background- Some things I need to do: Put in section dividers, chapter
dividers, headers (with section and chapter info), paragraph footnotes,
table of context, other basic formatting... My setup: I uninstalled all
versions of TeX and installed teTeX 3.0 straight from source. That is all
I had installed before I installed XeTeX.

I'm not sure where to look for documentation. I guess my main problem is
I'm not exactly sure what version of TeX XeTeX is based upon. I presume
that xelatex takes LaTeX input. What about the xetex command? Is it based
upon ConTeXt or is it it's own? Where do I find documentation? What
commands and macros are available? Does XeTeX merely add commands to an
existing system, and all the available macros/etc from that system will
still work?

As a side note, I'd like to be able to change the hyphenation (correct
terminology?) for my document. I would like xetex to break up words after
the maqqef and not just wrap by spaces. How would I go about this?

Thanks again for all the help, and for the great program!

Josh