[XeTeX] XeTeX for Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Apr 30 20:18:57 CEST 2006

On 30 Apr 2006, at 7:18 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 30 avr. 06 à 10:39, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> There is now a XeTeX for Linux page on the XeTeX web site. :)
>
> That sounds like a major achievement. Congratulations!
>
> I almost wish I had access to a Linux computer, to try it on.

Compared to the OS X version, it's still pretty rough in places. We
know where its true home is! :)

> There
> are actually Linux machines at work, but when I tried to speak about
> Ubuntu to our sysadmins, they dismissed it at not being serious and
> reliable enough, and only consider Debian instead. Sysadmins...

FWIW, someone here has already installed the Ubuntu binaries
successfully on a Debian system, though he extracted them from the
package and installed by hand rather than trusting the package
manager (which may be wise, given its early/experimental nature at
this point).

It should also work to get the source code and use "debuild" to build
a new .deb package on the target system, if anyone is adventurous
enough to try.