[XeTeX] what does this imply?

Tom Sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Apr 12 04:51:05 CEST 2006

Hello all:

I have just installed XeTeX, but not very successfully.  I have a fink
version of teTeX, and had difficulty generating a xelatex.fmt file.
I've got one now, but I generated it by invoking fmtutil by hand and
copying it into the right place, so I'm not really confident of it.

Anyway, some things work ok, but the url.sty package (included by
hyperref.sty which is used by XeTeX-notes.tex) generates this error:

  tomfool at toms-box:06$ xelatex XeTeX-notes.tex
  This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
  entering extended mode
  (./XeTeX-notes.tex
  LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
  Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,ngerman, b
  ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,esperanto, e
  stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,norsk, polis
  h, portuges, romanian, russian, slovak, slovene, spanish, swedish,turkish, noh
  yphenation, loaded.
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
  Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
  (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.cfg)
  Implicit mode ON; LaTeX internals redefined
  (/Users/tomfool/Library/texmf/tex/latex/url.sty
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  l.40   \do
            \~{\lower.45ex\hbox{\m at th$\mathchar126$}}% For tt style
  ?

The url.sty is up-to-date (version 3.2), though the old one fails, too.
The construct where it fails is a weird little bit of TeX-magic that I
don't entirely understand:

  \@namedef{Url at OT1encSpecials}{%
    \do\<8C>{\mathchar"3E }\do\<9C>{\mathchar"1B }\do\<DF>{\mathchar"19 }%
    \do\~{\lower.45ex\hbox{\m at th$\mathchar126$}}% For tt style
    % lots more to add, but I should later link into inputenc
    \Url at OTnonTT % more for any but typewriter
   }

As far as I can tell \do is never defined anywhere.  Like I said, I
don't really understand this, but regular latex does fine with it.  Does
this tell any of you what is the matter?  Can anyone tell me what is the
proper procedure for generating the xelatex.fmt file?  (Now that I fixed
language.dat.)

Many thanks,

 -tom