[XeTeX] Lucida Sans tracked tighter

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Tue Apr 4 23:06:08 CEST 2006

On the Gentium project page at SIL International
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&id=Gentium_status
it says:
"There have also been requests for a complementary sans-serif face.
(...) Lucida Sans, tracked a little tighter, works well."

Can anyone tell me if there's a way of doing this with XeTeX and the
preinstalled version of Lucida Sans that comes with Mac OS X Tiger?
I can see what the result would look like by typing some text in
Lucida Sans into TextEdit then selecting Format > Font > Kern >
Tighten.  But if I XeTeX AAT-info.tex and OpenType-info.tex for
Lucida Sans, no features show up of the kind that fontspec.sty might
be able to use for achieving this effect (as far as I understand
it).  I've tried Skia in various weights and widths as a sans serif
companion for Gentium, but the result was somehow always subliminally
too impudent.  This is a real aesthetic dilemma.

Grateful even for negative responses,
and hoping this isn't going to spark off another heated debate about
font licenses
:-(

-- Robert Spence
Applied Linguistics