[XeTeX] Fontspec feature request?

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Oct 24 09:51:03 CEST 2005

24/10/2005, 4pm - Suki Venkat, [TnQ] wrote:

> I am trying to change the font in \mathit but there is no
> \setmathit in
> fontspec.sty. So I tried:
> \SetMathAlphabet{\mathit}{normal}{U}{Times New Roman}{b}{it}
> but it didn't work for
> \[\mathtm{α}=\mathit{α}\]
> (where α is the UTF-8 coding for \alpha).
> I found that italic didn't work in math-mode although it did work
> in the
> text.

I'm not sure if this is a particularly fruitful avenue of exploration
on your part. There's MUCH more complex stuff going on behind the
scenes to typeset maths than grabbing the appropriate glyphs from
Times New Roman or where-ever. But if your needs are very simple, you
might be able to get output that looks acceptable.

Anyway, there IS a way to set \mathit in fontspec (luckily, I
implemented it last version). It is taken as the italic form of
\mathrm, which is specified with \setmathrm.

At least, it should.

Will