[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

=?GB2312?Q?Pavel_Stra=A8=BE=A8=A2k?= stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Oct 19 23:42:45 CEST 2005

On 19.10.2005, at 21:49, William F. Adams wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Florian Grammel wrote:
>
>> Another wish would be a macro that gives replacement patterns for
>> ligatures like fi, fl,...(as long as the fonts don't include them)
>> and perhaps also for the common shorthands like -- --- `` ''. As for
>> the quotation marks it would really be very nice to be able to choose
>> which real marks they will be expanded to. (Or is this yet available
>> and I just don't know how to do it?)
>
> That's what the ``mapping=tex-text'' option in a font declaration does.
>
> William

Unless I am mistaken, your  answer is true only for the first part of
the quote.

I would also love to see the option to expand the quotation marks
depending on the language.
Let's take Czech for example:

In CsLaTeX I can say \csprimeson and \csprimesoff to typeset Czech
quotation marks.
In XeLaTeX with Fontspec I would love "mapping=tex-text" to change the
behavoir depending on locale specified by babel or \XeTeXlocale "cs",
or something like that. CsLaTeX uses \usepackage{czech} for this.

Ideally this would also control all the features provided by CsLaTeX,
but I don't know if it is possible, or how hard it would be. We have
some special typographic rules, controled by  Cs(La)TeX: In adition to
different quotation marks, in dividing words like propan-butan the
hyphen can (and should) be typed on the end of line 1 as well as on the
begining of line 2.
You can limit the minimal number of characters before and after hyphen
(usually 2 and 3 respectivelly).
There are some more things, like controlling of localization of
headings, dates etc.
For those, who can understand it (I can't unfortunatelly), the
implementation is here:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/csplain/czech.sty

Being just a user, I am not sure some of these things are not possible
now.
In case they are not, is this a reasonable thing to include them in
future XeTeX?

Regards,
Pavel