[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt not found after update

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 19 20:45:31 CEST 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, at 5:42 pm, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> However, I can't get XeTeX to work yet. If I try to compile one of
> the sample documents from TeXShop I get the following in the
> TeXShop console:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.98 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> entering extended mode
> (./font-features.tex [1] )
> Output written on font-features.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on font-features.log.
>
> but no .pdf file is generated and no error messages are reported in
> the .log file. If I try directly from the command line I get the
> following:
>
> thrasymachus:~/Desktop/XeTeX-doc/Samples stefano$ xetex font-
> features.tex
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.98 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> entering extended mode
> (./font-features.tex [1] )
> kCGErrorFailure : can't find font object for font id.
> Output written on font-features.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on font-features.log.

Hmmm.... that's a bit worrying; I'm not sure what's wrong here.
Clearly something to do with fonts. That document uses Apple Chancery
and Zapfino, but you must have them available or you would have seen
a "Font not loadable..." message. Apparently XeTeX found them and
finished, but then something went wrong when xdv2pdf was trying to
generate the PDF.

Could you see if there is a "xdv2pdf.crash.log" file, probably in ~/
Library/Logs/CrashReporter/, and send to me?

If you try files that use different fonts (e.g., try
"PicFileSample.tex"), does it still have problems, or is it one of
these fonts in particular that's giving trouble for you?

Jonathan