[XeTeX] Syriac Script

Malte Rosenau xetex_malte at web.de
Tue Oct 18 21:20:46 CEST 2005

<xetex at tug.org> schrieb am 18.10.05 14:56:51:

> > Is this a result of OS X's incomplete support for syriac? Any
> > chance to make this work in XeTeX?
>
> It's not a result of OS X's incomplete support, but ICU Layout's
> complete lack of Syriac shaping support. The Meltho fonts rely on
> OpenType rather that AAT layout technology, so XeTeX would use them
> via the ICU layout library -- but it doesn't know about Syriac, and
> so they won't work.
>
> See "Submitting ICU Bugs and Feature Requests" at http://
> icu.sourceforge.net/bugs.html to file bug reports for the ICU
> library. If Syriac gets added to ICU, then XeTeX will have support
> for it.
>
> (Of course, if someone actually contributes the code, rather than
> merely requesting an enhancement, that's better still.)

Ahhhh, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing
about C/C++...

> The other way to get Syriac to work in XeTeX would be via an AAT
> Syriac font -- but I'm not aware of any that are available. A
> knowledgeable developer would be able to add AAT tables to the Meltho
> fonts, I guess, but there are not many skilled AAT font table
> programmers around.

Would this work out of the box with XeTeX if those AAT tables were available?
FontForge has some limited support for AAT, maybe I can convert one of the
Melto fonts  (it's an TTF flavoured OTF, but I doubt that it will convert the
contextual stuff automatically) and add those tables myself...  I really don't
want to write my phd with Mellel (which is a fine piece of software, but not
suitable for publishing), so I have to solve this problem one way or another.

thx,

Malte