[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Suki Venkat, [TnQ] skvenkat at tnq.co.in
Tue Oct 18 17:34:28 CEST 2005

> > On my part, I could spend some effort on porting and on documentation.
> > I'd also like to work on supporting different writing directions
> > (obviously this is necessary for Chinese/Japanese/Korean).
>
> I have just put together a sample that shows a feature I'm
> considering for the next release of XeTeX (well, I just implemented
> it yesterday!), making it possible to do vertical text by using a
> combination of a new font attribute "vertical" along with TeX macros
> to rotate the page layout.
>
> Please, those who have an interest in Chinese, etc., take a look at:
>
>      http://www.jfkew.plus.com/ThreeKingdoms.zip
>          [approx 700K, hence not sending to the mailing list!]
>
> and let me know any comments you have on this as a possible way
> forward. The archive contains a .tex source file, along with two
> versions of the resulting PDF -- one showing the horizontal rendering
> that XeTeX gives you today, and a second one showing a vertical
> version. (I'm sure there are issues of page design that would need to
> be refined -- don't know how you like to number vertical pages, for
> one example -- but it shows the kind of TeX programming that can be
> used.)
>
> Does this look sufficiently useful that I should go ahead and include
> the "vertical" feature? I don't know enough about Chinese yet to
> really assess the results, but my guess is that with a suitable TeX/
> LaTeX package to handle the page layout, this could be a usable
> approach.
>
> Jonathan

Wow! I didn't know Chinese was so easy to typeset!

Just a stupid unicode question:
I opened the TeX file in UTF-8 editor (gedit) and it shows the Chinese
characters correctly, but when I cut characters from PDF (Acrobat Reader
7.0.1) and paste it in the editor it shows very high unicode values
(x100cd8 for example).

Is this a problem with Acrobat or the PDF?

Suki