[XeTeX] Syriac Script

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Oct 18 15:00:24 CEST 2005

On 18 Oct 2005, at 1:51 pm, Will Robertson wrote:
> Anyway, you should be able to get by with turning the contextual
> ligatures on manually:
>
>   \fontspec[Script=Syriac, Ligatures=Contextual]{Estrangelo Edessa}
>   ???

I'm afraid that's not going to work, because Syriac shaping depends
on assigning different feature tags to letters depending on their
position in the word (initial, medial, final, and some additional
features). It's not enough to simply turn on a feature (or any fixed
set of features) for the entire text run.

So a true Syriac shaping engine, similar to the Arabic one but with a
few distinct features of its own, really is needed.