[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 18:29:18 CEST 2005

Le 17 oct. 05 à 18:11, Bernd a écrit :

> I'm not completely sure if this comment suits the request as well
> but I remember while trying different things with Xelatex that I
> encountered a dissimilarity between output of Xelatex and plain
> Latex. This is if I try to get exactly the same output with both
> environments they are still different in many places, even though I
> used the default settings. For example I used Palatino and some
> usual text. The output was different in font shape, letter spaces
> and so on.

How did you use Palatino in LaTeX on one hand, and XeLaTeX on the
other hand? The Palatino support in LaTeX (I assumed you used the
mathpazo package) relies on virtual fonts and specially built metrics
based on fontinst. The Palatino support in XeLaTeX (I assumed you
used the fontspec package) relies on the OS X notion of a font, which
is fundamentally different. Is this what you did?

I assume it would take OpenType, which LaTeX and XeLaTeX both support
(through different mechanisms), to get some sort of convergence,
given the various characteristics of the font (regarding metrics in
particular) would be the same in both cases. Or am I mistaken?

Bruno Voisin