[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Oct 16 10:50:24 CEST 2005

On 16 Oct 2005, at 8:55 am, Pavel Straňák wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I might have missed something, but I believe there still is a
> problem with CJK line wrapping. Your hack from February 23 works,
> but you can't expect regular LaTeX users to figure this out. I
> can't even understand how it works.

Ah, I think you did miss something - version 0.91 added a new feature
to enable line-breaking based on Unicode character properties,
tailored for a given locale (as there's no "universal" set of rules).

You can enable this by adding a couple of declarations at the start
of a document, e.g.:

     \XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh" % allow inter-character linebreaks
according to Chinese locale
     \XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt % allow some stretch at such
places, for justification

This is not turned on by default, as it will affect TeX's behavior
(in minor and usually benign ways, it's true, but it would appear
buggy to an unsuspecting TeX user).