[XeTeX] Re:Re: Croping PDF and Fonts in Math!

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Oct 13 09:58:19 CEST 2005

13/10/2005, 4pm - Suki Venkat, [TnQ] wrote:

> Now I can do Math in Arial (see files attached).

Um, I won't question why you're doing this, but this isn't exactly
the way to go about it. What you've done is change the \mathrm and
\mathit fonts; these are for writing *text* in maths mode, for
example, to typeset units or to label variables with words.

It's a *lot* of work to create a maths font; if you want something
that looks a little different, try \usepackage{euler}.

(Also, if you want to avoid messing around with LaTeX's font commands
to get new fonts in XeLaTeX, try out the fontspec package; it does
everything you've done in your sample file with much less effort. I'm
the author of the package, though, so sorry for the blatant
advertisement.)

<snip>
> Attached is a new.tex file in UTF-8 encoding in which XeTeX PDF
> (new.pdf) doesn't show up some Greek characters
> Is this a bug in XeTeX or a bug in "Times New Roman" or a bug
> in ... (I
> did try to reinstall the font many times)?

The problem is Times New Roman. Letters typed in XeTeX can only be
displayed in the PDF if the font you are using for typesetting
contains glyphs for those letters. Try using a "more unicode" font,
such as "Times" (I think it's a standard Mac OS X font).

Good luck,

Will

P.S.  Don't use $$...$$ in LaTeX; it's not correct. \[...\] is the
right thing to do.