[XeTeX] "I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!"

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Tue Oct 11 23:42:21 CEST 2005

>> 1. Uninstall XeTeX
>> 2. Install TeX, choose expert
>> 3. Choose system-wide configuration
>> 4. Choose remove personal settings
>> 5. Install XeTeX
>>

> Works well!

I still had the following problems, even though I must say that I
have no understanding of the inner structure of a TeX-installation
and that this was trial-and-error to get it working again.
So it might easily be, that the mistake is on my side, but perhaps
you can use the description for something.

Kind regards,
Florian.

As I now had Gerben Wierda's easy-enough instructions I decided to
try. Actually -- even though this might have been superfluous, I
don't know -- I completely deinstalled, deleted the folder and
started from scratch.

While installing TeX I chose a number of extra hyphenation-patterns
that I might need. But babel just loaded the standard six-seven ones.
Shouldn't choosing them in the installer be enough to activate them?
Manually activating them in the /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/
tex/generic/config/language.dat  worked.

But then my attempts to install XeTeX kept failing. Actually
xetex.fmt was properly installed and working, but not xelatex.fmt,
even though the installer didn't report any mistakes.
The log said i.a.:
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/gahyph.tex
> Hyphenation patterns `gahyph.tex' Version 1.0 <2004/01/22>
> ! Not a letter.
> l.6089 ...rt뉧coirt뉣hreata뉧creata뉤hoirte
>                                                   hoirtear
> ?
> ! Emergency stop.
> l.6089 ...rt뉧coirt뉣hreata뉧creata뉤hoirte
>                                                   hoirtear
> End of file on the terminal!

It finally worked when I again removed the xetex-files from web2c,
deactivated Irish hyphenation in language.dat and reinstalled XeTeX.

die halbe Nazion iss irre;
(& die andre Hälfte nich ganz bei Groschn!)

                     (Arno Schmidt)

Florian Grammel

Fuglegårdsvænget 57, 1.th.
2820 Gentofte