[XeTeX] "I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!"

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Sun Oct 9 12:22:25 CEST 2005

On Oct 9, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2005, at 8:57 am, Stephen Moye wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> did you download the new XeTeX i-package?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>

>>> It should be trying to install in texmf.local/web2c using fmtutil-
>>> sys rather than in ~/Library/texmf/web2c/. You'll also need to
>>> remove any format files in ~/Library/texmf/web2c/.
>>>

>> The only thing there is fmtutil.cnf -- do I remove that? I've
>> already tried that and had to enter a password to do it. And, once
>> again, had to clear the font caches.
>>

> I'm not sure I fully understand what went on for you, but one
> factor may be if you had at some point installed a recent gwTeX/
> TL2005 system (recent enough to include the "personal
> configuration" stuff, and to require the use of fmtutil-sys for
> "normal" system-wide setup), and then tried to install a pre-0.95
> XeTeX package.

Entirely possible. I do know that the ~/Library/texmf/web2c/
directory made its appearance quite recently

> The result of this is that the xetex installation script, because
> it uses fmtutil (rather than fmtutil-sys), will try to create
> formats, etc., in ~/Library/texmf. If that folder doesn't exist at
> all, it will get created, owned by root, and not readable by anyone
> else - and so in normal use you'll get errors because the files
> can't be found.
>
> You really don't want these there, unless you're sure you know what
> you're doing (and are properly managing a personal configuration).
> But reinstalling gwTeX and (new) XeTeX won't remove them, because
> they're in your personal space, not the shared texmf tree that
> gwTeX owns. Therefore, some manual cleanup may be needed.

"...some manual cleanup": Is this limited to the contents of ~/
Library/texmf/web2c/, or can the directory be deleted (I don't use
it)?. Is there anything else to clean up?

> It may be possible to get the XeTeX installer to check for some of
> these problems and tidy things up, but it's a little tricky because
> some users may legitimately have their own stuff there and want to
> keep it!
>
> JK

To answer a question that you put to me a while ago: Yes, I am using
Tiger. The problem with font caches is very recent, and seems (I say
again: seems) to have started recently when I began reinstalling XeTeX.

Thank you.

SGM