[XeTeX] FontName/B seems to be broken

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 8 16:45:48 CEST 2005

On 8 Oct 2005, at 2:14 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I just installed XeTeX 0.95. When I typeset a document with this
> sort of font call:
>
> \font\rm="Minion Pro" at 9pt
> \font\frac="Minion Pro:+frac" at 9pt \rm
>     \baselineskip1.25em plus.1pt minus.05pt
> \font\it="Minion Pro/I" at 9pt
> \font\bf="Minion Pro/B" at 9pt
> \font\bi="Minion Pro/BI" at 9pt
> \font\head="Optima Bold" at 12pt
> \font\headit="Optima Bold Italic" at 12pt
>
> all of the bold and italics etc went away, except for the Optima,
> of course, which was explicitly declared.
>
> Help! I need my italics!! ;>}

Are you running Tiger, by any chance? I've noticed since updating to
10.4 that /B and /I sometimes seem to fail, when they were working
for me in the same documents under Panther. But they don't always
fail; I'm not sure yet quite what's going on.

You can, of course, get your italics back by declaring the fonts
explicitly. :) But clearly there's a bug here that needs to be squashed.