[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt not found after update

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Oct 7 10:32:27 CEST 2005

Am 07.10.2005 um 01:31 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> Check to see if the xetex.fmt and xelatex.fmt files, etc., are now in
> ~/Library/texmf/web2c/ rather than the ``global''
> .../texmf.local/web2c/. If the formats are in your personal branch of
> the TDS then you should use fmtutil-sys rather than fmtutil.

Hello Herb!

This doesn't seem to happen! Making of formats in the *EXPERIMENTAL*
teTeX seems to fail completely. A reason can be the many fmtutil.cnf
files:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  Admin  4947 30 Sep 12:57
/Users/Admin/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4944  6 Okt 23:53
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4971  7 Okt 00:14
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

The first one was created when I did a 'private' install. The second
one was created by the recent TeX i-Package (could be changed by the
ConTeXt beta updater too), and the last one is most probably from the
XeTeX i-Package. And this seems to be the culprit! It's obviously
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf which is now used
to record which formats need to be created, but the XeTeX i-Package
records its needs (still) in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf!

Editing /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf to get
xetex uncommented, made 'sudo fmtutil-sys --missing' create xetex.fmt
in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c finally. Jon's editing step
is the right one to correct the /old/ (still recent?) XeTeX i-Package
in the new *EXPERIMENTAL* environment. Plus invoking 'sudo fmtutil-sys
--missing'.

--
Greetings

   Pete