xunicode expansion problem (was Re: [XeTeX] Hyphenation of "--" with tex-text mapping on)

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Nov 30 06:11:14 CET 2005

Hi Ross,

I know this issue is resolved now, but you had a couple of open
questions about fontspec...

On 26/11/2005, at 12:16 , Ross Moore wrote:

> Now we use  fontspec.sty  in the preamble:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setromanfont{Lucida Grande:mapping=tex-text}
> \newlength{\chapnowd}
> \begin{document}
>

> The output is dramatically different from previously.
> Maybe I'm not using  fontspec  correctly.

Try instead:
   \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Grande}

fontspec uses the NFSS to create font families, so adding font
features directly using plain XeTeX syntax will confuse it quite a
bit, which explains the warning given:

> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/LucidaGrande:mapping=tex-text/
> bx/n' undefin
> ed
> (Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead
> (Font)              for symbol `textendash' on input line 21.

Everything is all good with the syntax for \setromanfont shown above.

Cheers,

Will