[XeTeX] xetex vs. pages

Stefano Franchi s.franchi at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 18 17:19:49 CET 2005

On Nov 18, 2005, at 5:54 AM, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:

>> On 17/11/2005, at 10am, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> One more thing ---
>>>
>>> XeTeX (and TeX in general) will break your paragraphs into
>>> beautiful lines while Pages will always look much uglier. The only
>>> piece of software that seems to come even close to TeX's ability to
>>> make beautiful typography is InDesign which, I believe, has lifted
>>> at least some of TeX's algorithms.
>>
>> Actually, InDesign arguably is *more* capable than TeX, since it
>> features optical kerning (that is, on-the-fly kerning between any
>> arbitrary characters). This would be something worth investigating
>> for XeTeX if anyone is looking for a research project :)
>>
>> Will

> Actually, ID is not only more capable than TeX with regard to optical
> kerning (which is with good OTF less preferable than metrics kerning by
> the way) it also has optical margin alignment on both the left and
> right
> margin. Moreover it the margin alignment is aware of the writing
> direction of the language, l2r or r2l. That is, the Middle Eastern
> Version is.

Slightl off-topic, but just for the sake of clarifying the  TeX/vs.
other typesetting programs comparison:

  isn't pdfTeX (with the microtype package) capable of the same
microtypographic adjustments attributed to InDesign? I have no
experience with the latter, but from the brief description above it
seems like they are both covering the same ground. Or is 'metrical
kerning' different?

Best,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64) 9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland			Fax: (64) 9 373-7408
Private Bag 92019				s.franchi at auckland.ac.nz
Auckland
New Zealand