[XeTeX] xetex vs. pages

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Thu Nov 17 04:30:20 CET 2005

> One more thing ---
>
> XeTeX (and TeX in general) will break your paragraphs into
> beautiful lines while Pages will always look much uglier. The only
> piece of software that seems to come even close to TeX's ability to
> make beautiful typography is InDesign which, I believe, has lifted
> at least some of TeX's algorithms.

right thanks, forgot about the new microadjustments.  however, since
tex is all open-source, and since apple has shown the foresight to
leverage as much open source as possible, it's conceivable that
future revisions of pages will compete with the paragraph layout of tex.

i've been using keynote since the 1st version, and i've really
started to like it.  it's not perfect, but better than any
alternative i've seen.  being a died-in-the-wool tex user i've not
really seen myself using pages, but now i'm looking at it curiously.
it has a lot of features i like, and if it continues to evolve it
could be something that does finally succeed tex, at least on the mac.

-SM-