Solved: [XeTeX] beginners trouble

=?GB2312?Q?Pavel_Stra=A8=BE=A8=A2k?= stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Nov 12 20:28:15 CET 2005

On 12.11.2005, at 16:03, Martin Henning wrote:

> after endless trouble with TeXhop not beeing able to load the
> installed font, i finally switched to the secnd version (with
> babel...) - Suddenly everything worked out perfectly! I don't know the
> connection between the two things, but without babel i couldn't load
> fonts at all.

I tried babel, because I used to have similar problem with
\usepackage{czech}.

> Monaco seems to contain everything, i'm using it now for for monospace
> style. Downloaded the SIL fonts and i guess i'll stick with Charis
> SIL, even though it is not as 'readable' as the 'standard LaTeX font'
> - but, that's really great, it seems to have all character i will ever
> need included and since i don't want to sell it... nice :)

'Standard LaTeX font' is Computer modern, which is very similar to
Monotype Modern. Unfortunatelly I was unable to find any foundry
selling Modern or similar typeface with cyrilic.
In case you would need "standard fonts" (times/helvetica/courier)
equivalents, have a look at the Free family
(http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/). They seem to be quite good and
contain wide range of glyphs.

Pavel